For the chicken:
- 8 skinless chicken thighs fillets
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. ginger, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp. turmeric
For the rice:
- ¼ cup (60ml) boiling water
- pinch saffron threads (roughly ⅛ tsp.)
- 1 cup (225g) basmati rice
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 ¾ cup vegetable stock
- Season the thighs with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in the pan. Fry the thighs on both sides until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan sauté the diced onion, garlic, and ginger for 3-4 minutes, often stirring — season with pepper and turmeric. Then add chopped tomatoes, and ¼ cup of water, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken thighs in the simmering sauce, then cover with the lid and cook for about 30-45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- In the meantime, cook the rice. Combine saffron threads and boiling water and allow to ‘brew’ for at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium pot, combine saffron and the water with the rice and all other ingredients.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let it sit, and cover for another 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: rice can also be prepared in a rice cooker, prep the saffron as above, and then follow rice cooker instructions.
- Serves 4
- Calories – 531
- Protein – 36g
- Fats – 22g
- Carbs – 47g