Spaghetti bolognese is one thing a man should master – it’s easy, tasty, versatile and a guaranteed hit with the kids. so give the missus a night off and make this your go-to Dad dinner.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups chopped veggies ( choose from capsicum, mushrooms, carrot, zucchini)
- 500g extra lean beef mince
- 1 x 500g jar tomato pasta sauce (see smart tip)
- 3 cups cooked wholemeal spaghetti, to serve
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and veggies and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-7 minutes or until softened. Crank the heat up to high, add the mince and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add the pasta sauce and 1/3 cup water and give it a good stir. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Serve bolognese on the cooked spaghetti and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
- SERVES – 4
- PROTEIN – 39.5g
- CARBS – 40.8g
- SUGAR – 9.5g
- FAT – 11.9g
Not all pasta sauces are created equal; some are loaded with sugar and/or salt. Try to choose one with no more than 5 grams of sugar and 200 milligrams of sodium per 100 milliliters.